NL FR EN DE
2009-nordic-walking-bos.jpg

Gwalia Cemetery

A hop farm, located about five kilometers from the front, was claimed by the British soldiers and called 'Gwalia Farm', after a place in Wales. From the end of June 1917, a 'Field Ambulance' was first installed in the farm. Following the Third Battle of Ypres, the large-scale allied offensive at the end of July 1917, the British built the camp into a much larger hospital complex called a 'corps main dressing station'. Those who did not survive were buried on the spot at the cemetery that was built at 'Gwalia Farm' in a meadow behind the farm.

More info

Military cemeteries
World war
Poperinge